We are aware of the problem regarding the site certificate and logins and it is being investigated as a matter of urgency. We will issue an update as soon as we are able. Apologies for any inconvenience hide announcement
First Exeter St James Cricket Club U12 Colts Team - 2000
Exeter St James CC 1st XI - 2002
Brief History of the Club
The 'Exeter Flying Post' of 21 April 1875 records the formation of the Club; however, it folded six years later before being re-formed in 1887 by the Vicar and Rector of St James Church to play at St James Park. In 1891 it folded once more, restarting in 1896 with two teams.
In 1904 St James Cricket Club sold their ground to Exeter City Football Club for £7-10 shillings (£7.50!), but they continued playing their home matches at Clifton Hill. In 1910 Westbrick started extracting clay from Clifton Hill, so the Club moved to Stoke Hill. Unfortunately at the outbreak of the War it had to move again, this time to Wonford House where a number of the hospital staff joined the team.
In 1934 the Cricket Club moved to Heavitree Park in order to share the ground with Heavitree Cricket Club. However, it returned to Wonford House in 1938, and was one of the very few sides in existence during the war years.
The building of the R D & E Hospital in Barrack Road in 1966 forced the Club to move to Digby Hospital, and 1984 it joined the Devon League.
After the closure of Digby Hospital in 1986, there was a short-term ground-share arrangement with Exe Vale Cricket Club at Exminster Hospital. Then, following negotiations with Topsham RFC, the Club moved in 1989 to Bonfire Field.
Since then, it has gone from strength-to-strength with a large increase in membership. A Colts section was formed in 1999 and the following year they entered their first team in the Youth League at U12 level. In the same year Isca Nomads Womens Cricket Club started playing at Bonfire Field, changing their name to Isca St James Women's XI and eventually becoming totally integrated into the Club in 2008.
During 2013 the Clubhouse at Bonfire Field underwent a major rebuilding programme and the ground now boasts some of the best facilities in Devon. At the same time we improved our Nets and invested in a new Tractor thanks to a large donation from the Market House Trust of Topsham; then, in 2015, we obtained Covers with the help of the ECB Small Grants Scheme.